Reunion Island, Travel guide

La Réunion
 
Reunion island
French links [ Home | Forum | Weather | Chart of the Reunion ]
 
Informations about Reunion island
History
Arabian sailors used to call this island Dina Morgabin (“Western island”).

The Portuguese discovered the uninhabited island in 1513.

The island was then occupied by the French. In 1642, the King of France Louis XIII named it Île Bourbon. It was renamed Réunion during the French Revolution.

From the 17th to the 19th centuries, French immigration supplemented by influxes of Africans, Chinese, Malays, and Malabar Indians gave the island its ethnic mix. The opening of the Suez Canal in 1869 cost the island its importance as a stopover on the East Indies trade route.

Réunion became an overseas departement of France on March 19, 1946.


Politics
Administratively, Réunion is divided into 4 arrondissements, 24 communes, and 47 cantons. It is a French overseas department as well as a French region.

Geography
The island is 39 miles (63 kilometers) long, is 28 miles (45 kilometers) wide, and covers 970 square miles (2150 square kilometers). The island is similar to the big island of Hawaii because both are located above hot spots in the Earth's crust.

Piton de la Fournaise, a shield volcano on the eastern end of Réunion Island, rises more than 8565 feet (2611 meters) above sea level and is sometimes called a sister to Hawaiian volcanoes because of the similarity of climate and volcanic nature, has erupted more than 100 times since 1640 and is under constant monitoring. It most recently erupted on January 9, 2004.

Piton des Neiges volcano, the highest point on the island at 10069 feet (3070 meters) above sea level, is west of Piton de la Fournaise volcano. Collapsed calderas and canyons are southwest of the mountain. Like Mauna Kea on the big island of Hawaii, Piton des Neiges is extinct.

The slopes of both volcanoes are heavily forested. Cultivated land and cities like the capital city of Saint-Denis are concentrated on the surrounding coastal lowlands.


Saint-Denis de la Réunion, (or just Saint-Denis or St-Denis for short)
Saint DenisSaint-Denis de la Réunion is the préfecture (administrative capital) of the French overseas département Réunion.

It was founded by Étienne Régnault in 1669 and became the capital of Réunion island in 1738.

The closest airport is the Aéroport de la Réunion Roland Garros which is also the main international airport of Réunion.

The hotels in Saint-Denis include Mercure Creolia Hotel, Austral Hotel and Best Western.

 

[ Home | Advertisment | Webmaster | Link to us | Guestbook | Invitation ]
© Ile de la réunion.net 2001-2005 - CNIL n° 797153
1 connected since 10 minutes - Today : 0 visitors